IEEE HAC Global Summit 2021
The HAC Global Summit will serve as a platform to bring together IEEE members, leaders from a variety of IEEE entities, and representatives from external partners in the sustainable development space to exhibit the breadth and width of HAC engagement, showcase grassroots HAC/SIGHT projects, and contribute to the global discussion on the application of humanitarian technology to address local challenges.
The IEEE HAC Chair invites you to attend the inaugural IEEE HAC Global Summit!
Tuesday 09 November 2021
All times in EST (New York time)
Wednesday, 10 November 2021
All times in EST (New York time)
Time: 9:00am – 9:10am
Time: 9:10am – 9:25am
Time: 9:25am – 10:05am
What is needed right now in the sustainable development space? How can technologists, specifically IEEE members, play a crucial role?
- Mr. Houlin Zhao, International Telecommunication Union (ITU) Secretary-General
- Dr. Paola Vega Castillo, Minister of Science, Technology and Telecommunications, Costa Rica
- Dr. Vint Cerf, Vice President and Chief Internet Evangelist, Google
- Ms. Iana Aranda, President, Engineering for Change
Time: 10:05am – 10:35am
Learn how IEEE volunteers identified local challenges and partnered to develop and execute solutions during the COVID-19 pandemic. Panel discussion.
Moderator: Dr. Karen Panetta, IEEE HAC Projects Chair
- R6 – USA – Dr. Xun Luo – COVID-19 Infection Prevention: an Interactive Digital Training Tool
- R8 – Uganda – Mr. Vincent Kaabunga – Protection for Frontline Workers in the COVID-19 Response
- R9 – Mexico – Dr. Joel Molina-Reyes – UV-A LED arrays and photocatalytic TiO2 coatings on protective screens for SARS-Cov-2 inactivation
- R10 – Indonesia – Dr. Dewi Yanti Liliana – Women Against Disruptive Information on COVID-19 Pandemic in Indonesia
Time: 10:35am – 10:50am
Time for Q&A with panelists in the virtual exhibit space.
Time: 10:50am – 11:20am
Discover how IEEE sustainable development activities are inspiring and enabling students, young professionals, and women around the world to develop skills and pursue/stick with engineering, all while contributing to their local communities. Panel discussion.
Moderator: Ms. Simay Akar, IEEE HAC MGA Partnerships Chair
- R8 – Kenya – Ms. Sally Musonye – Elimusafe
- R9 – Argentina – Dr. Guillermo Catuogno – COVID-RC: Center of Opportunities to alleViate Inequality and Deterioration of Rural Communities
- R9 – Ecuador – Ms. Mara Falconí – Red Nabón
- R10 – India – Dr. Rajeev Kumar Ranjan – Auto Irrigation and Soil Monitoring System for COVID-19 Migrant Engagement
Time: 11:20am – 12:00pm
Case studies of how programs and organizational units within IEEE have partnered with HAC to increase awareness, train members, operationalize projects, and contribute to the greater sustainable development community. Panel discussion.
Moderator: Mr. Sampathkumar Veeraraghavan, IEEE HAC 2021 – 2022 Global Chair
- Dr. Maike Luiken, 2021 IEEE Vice President, Member and Geographic Activities
- Mr. Deepak Mathur, IEEE Region 10 Director
- Dr. Ajay Poddar, IEEE HAC Society Partnerships and Industry Engagement Working Group Chair
- Dr. Fred Mintzer, IEEE Foundation Treasurer
Time: 12:00pm – 12:25pm
IEEE programs, projects, and SIGHT Groups from around the world showcase their activities and answer questions from conference attendees.
Time: 12:20pm – 12:35pm
The importance of Engaging Women Leaders in Policy Making to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs)
- Speaker: Ms. Gitanjali Sah, Strategy and Policy Coordinator at the International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
The Role of African Technologists in Achieving the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs)
- Speaker: Mr. Lwanga Herbert, Chair, IEEE Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology (SIGHT)
The Importance of Women Leaders in Advancing Technology and Achieving Sustainable Development from an Industry Perspective
- Speaker: Dr. Sthitie Bom, Senior Director, Global Wafer System, Seagate Technology
Time: 12:30pm – 12:40pm
Time: 12:40pm – 8:30pm
Recordings from earlier sessions will be made available on demand. Attendees may visit the virtual exhibit area at any time during this break.
Time: 8:30pm – 8:40pm
Time: 8:40pm – 9:10pm
Network with HAC Global Summit attendees from around the world and discuss previous sessions.
Time: 9:10pm – 9:50pm
Attendees may submit their questions for IEEE HAC/SIGHT Leaders before this session.