An integral part of IEEE HAC’s strategic mission is to offer educational resources and training to equip IEEE members and volunteers to impact their local communities through sustainable development activities.
With better-prepared, skilled participants, every activity has a greater positive impact.
HAC Education Forum
HAC is currently developing an educational curriculum on Humanitarian Technology and Sustainable Development at IEEE that is housed on the IEEE Learning Network.
The following are already available:
- Module 1: Introduction to Sustainable Development
- Module 2: Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Humanitarian and Sustainable Development Activities
- Module 3: Community Engagement in Sustainable Development Projects
- Module 4: Humanitarian Technology for Sustainable Development
- Module 5: Sustainable Project Design
The following are coming soon in spring 2020:
- Module 6: Impact Analysis
- More to come!
The IEEE Humanitarian Activities Committee (HAC) Education Forum, found on Facebook Groups, is a dedicated, interactive space for IEEE members and staff to gather virtually and learn about topics related to humanitarian activities, sustainable development, and how technology and technically trained individuals can contribute.
The Forum is designed to accompany IEEE HAC’s free online educational curriculum which can be found on the IEEE Learning Network (ILN). This is an opportunity for those who take the online courses to discuss and explore the topics further with their peers and skilled IEEE volunteers.
Tailored for busy IEEE members, each module should take only 20 – 30 minutes to complete. However, there are plenty of additional resources available, should one want to devote more time to the topics!
The discussion on the Education Forum will complement and reinforce learning from the modules, providing an opportunity for more experienced volunteers to share lessons learned and a chance for all to ask questions and receive feedback.
Initial Discussion Schedule
- Week of 23 March: introductions and getting to know each other
- Week of 30 March: Module 1 – Introduction to Sustainable Development
- Week of 06 April – Week of 13 April: Module 2 – Multidisciplinary Perspectives in Humanitarian and Sustainable Development Activities
- Week of 20 April – Week of 27 April: Module 3 – Community Engagement in Sustainable Development Projects
- Week of 04 May – Week of 11 May: Module 4 – Humanitarian Technology for Sustainable Development
- Week of 18 May – Week of 25 May: Module 5 – Sustainable Project Design
Useful resources that can be found online:
Engineering for Change’s Introduction to Engineering for Global Development (EGD 101). Requires free registration with Engineering for Change
The IEEE SIGHT Digital Classroom provides learning-focused webinars, videos related to SIGHT and podcasts.
Learn about the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals.
IEEE Humanitarian Activities Committee Panel Session at Rising Stars 2020 Conference:
What does local humanitarian work look like in North America? Often times IEEE Members from the United States and Canada Sections state that they do not see humanitarian issues in their communities, that the issues are “elsewhere.” This panel features experts and thought leaders on the humanitarian-technology topics that align with USA and Canadian needs. Panelists discuss the issues and give insights into how technology and IEEE members can help.