These are challenging and unprecedented times with the global spread of the coronavirus COVID-19. We at the IEEE Humanitarian Activities Committee (HAC) recognize that the virus has disrupted life in many parts of the world, and affected IEEE members, volunteers, event organizers, and project teams. As such, HAC has adapted its resources to better enable IEEE volunteers to contribute to the fight against COVID-19.
- IEEE COVID-19 News & Resources from IEEE Spectrum and The Institute provide the latest news on tech to fight the pandemic, and the pandemic’s impact on tech.
- Articles from the IEEE Xplore digital library that may help researchers understand and manage different aspects of the COVID-19 pandemic are now free to access.
- Please see the special section on Ventilator Technology.
- IEEE is providing no-cost public access to important IEEE Standards, used by technologists, engineers, scientists, manufacturers, as they respond to the global COVID-19 public health emergency.
IEEE HAC & SIGHT Projects – Response to COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected the world in an unprecedented manner, and as such, HAC has adapted its requirements to better enable IEEE volunteers to contribute. For that reason, HAC and SIGHT (Special Interest Group on Humanitarian Technology) Projects have joined forces to prioritize grassroots proposals that have a strong potential for immediate impact in the fight against COVID-19.
For more information and details on projects awarded, see the IEEE HAC & SIGHT Projects 2020 Special Call for Proposals related to COVID-19.
HAC Educational Resources
- HAC and SIGHT’s free online educational curriculum, “Humanitarian Technology and Sustainable Development at IEEE,” can be found on the IEEE Learning Network. The curriculum equips participants with a basic understanding of humanitarian technology and sustainable development, outlines the need for holistic analysis of existing systems, instructs on the principles of community engagement, and covers the role of appropriate technology in sustainable development.
- The IEEE Humanitarian Activities Committee (HAC) Education Forum was created to accompany the educational curriculum as a space to explore and discuss the topics further with peers and skilled IEEE volunteers.