IEEE Electron Devices Society (EDS) and IEEE HAC Special Call for Proposals: EDS-Relevant Technology for Local Community Challenges
IEEE Electron Device Society (EDS) and the IEEE Humanitarian Activities Committee (HAC) are partnering to conduct a special Call for Proposals to support projects in EDS chapters that utilize EDS-relevant technology to address local community challenges.
Awards of up to US$2,000 will be made to selected projects that present a convincing plan to a) understand the real needs of a local community or local stakeholder organization and b) complete in no more than six months’ time a pilot project utilizing EDS-relevant technology to address those local community challenges.
Any local community challenge that can map back to the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) can be considered.
The EDS field-of-interest includes all electron and ion based devices, in their classical or quantum states, using environments and materials in their lowest to highest conducting phase, in simple or engineered assembly, interacting with and delivering photo-electronic, electro-magnetic, electromechanical, electro-thermal, and bio-electronic signals. The Society sponsors and reports on education, research, development and manufacturing aspects and is involved in science, theory, engineering, experimentation, simulation, modeling, design, fabrication, interconnection, reliability of such devices and their applications.
Projects must have a good connection to the local EDS chapter and engage a significant number of IEEE members.
Projects MUST comply with all national/federal, state, and local guidelines and restrictions. Please note the Message from IEEE on coronavirus COVID-19, particularly “We request that all members avoid conducting in-person activities in areas impacted by the coronavirus threat and instead maximize the use of our online and virtual alternatives.”
All projects that involve children must follow IEEE Guidelines for Working with Children. Any project funding will be contingent on policy compliance.
08 August 2021
Call for Proposals
- NOTE: Applicants are strongly encouraged to take the free HAC/SIGHT online training course Project Assessment, Monitoring and Evaluation on the IEEE Learning Network prior to developing your submission.
- A live Q&A was held to address common pitfalls in completing the new Project Assessment Matrix. The recording is available here.
How to Apply
- Applications must be submitted via the IEEE HAC/SIGHT Online Funding Opportunities Portal. First time applicants will need to create a user account in order to submit a proposal
- Please download the template files which are required to complete the online proposal
- Applicants are encouraged to use the Proposal Complete Checklist to ensure their proposal meets all the criteria to advance to the evaluation stage of the process and be considered for funding.